On your mark get
set go, “Dear Lord,” Gustavo prayed, “thank you for Hannah, thank you for
Joshua, thank you for Hannah, thank you for Mama and Papa, thank you for
Hannah. Amen.”
“And Tori,” my mom
and sister simultaneously added.
“Thank you for
Tori,” repeated Gustavo, “and Hannah.”
As eight-year old
Gustavo learned more English, he expanded his vocabulary in his dinnertime
prayers. “Dear Lord, thank you Papa hurt his back, thank you Tori drive me,
thank you Mama make me food, thank you Joshua do homework, thank you Hannah
likes me, and thank you for my family,” Gustavo said as he squeezed all the
circulation out of my hand.
His “gracias por”
turned into Spanglish sentences like “thank you por” and finally to “God
bless”. With his new words “God bless”, he prayed, “God bless Mama and God
bless me and God bless our bodies.” After a slight smile and chuckle from me,
Gustavo added, “Thank you Tori laugh at me.”
![]() |
For his GOTCHA day celebrations, he said, “I get to eat at MY Honduras restaurant.’’
|
It’s amazing to
think that only nine months ago, this young boy that I now call my brother, who
eagerly volunteers to pray at almost every meal in complete English, spoke only
Spanish words with the exception of the words “one”, “three”, “five”, and
“seven”.
In September of 2006, my highly
energetic brother was born an orphan in the poor Central American country of
Honduras. In that same month of the same year 1,528 miles away, the Kersey
family decided to adopt a young boy from Honduras: Caleb Gustavo Enrique
Kersey.
Have you ever lived
without parents for six and half weeks? Think it would be fun to be free and
have no restrictions? Well, I encourage you to think again. For that length of
time my parents were in Honduras teaching, training, and loving my brother,
Gustavo. I woke up every morning knowing that there was no mom or dad to say
hello to or make me meals or remind me everything that I needed to do. During
the longest time I was without parents, it was also the longest time my brother
had parents, parents to call his own.
Because I had no
earthly father to talk to during that time, I became dependent to call on my
Heavenly Father in prayer and scripture reading. I have always prayed and
trusted in him, but there has never been a time before that month where I have
felt so much peace and guidance from Him.
The six weeks that
my parents were gone to bring back Gustavo to my family could not even compare
to the long wait of seven years to bring back a younger brother. In Spanish the
word “esparar” means both “to wait” and “to hope”; I believe it is no accident
that those words have the same Spanish translation. Whether my family was
waiting seven years for our adoption to take place, or for my parents to come
home, or for Christ to return I’ve learned there is hope in the waiting.
We helped Gustavo
grow in height and weight, in
knowledge, and in maturity. Through his adoption I also have grown in my love
for Christ, my appreciation for my parents, and my hope for the future. We
prayed for seven years for a boy that would make our family of six into a
family of seven and now he’s praying for us. Even through the struggles of
training a rambunctious child, I am reminded by the beautiful words Gustavo
said in Spanglish, “Me no more orphano.”
| Singing to songs on the radio is a favorite pastime for Gustavo. |

No comments:
Post a Comment