Lisa and Gustavo

Lisa and Gustavo

Friday, April 4, 2014

What I've Learned From You So Far

Gustavo

While it might seem obvious that one of our roles as your parents is to teach you, in the short time together, there have been many things you have taught me. Here are just a few:
  • Serve with excitement. Every time we ask you to help with cleaning the dishes or cut some watermelon, you jump to the task immediately and with joy.
  • Everyone is worth greeting. And I mean everyone. The entire staff here says, "Hola!" to you because you have initiated the same to them.
  • Everyone is important. I love to see that you treat everyone the same from a government official to the cleaning ladies and handymen.
  • Blue should be in every painting...and lot's of it.
  • All food on your plate should be consumed. (Well, this may not include raw green beans, but everything else that is edible is fair game.)
  • Keep your teeth clean. Brushing your teeth five or six times a day apparently is not excessive.
  • Hugs are wonderful. Everyone deserves one.
  • Water is amazing. And you seem to revel in washing everything from hands to plates. Wet clothes are to be expected.
  • Electricity is truly incredible. I never realized that turning the light switches on and off twenty or thirty times a day in each room can be really fun.
  • When you're happy, jump up and down and laugh voraciously.
  • Get excited over little things. As above, screaming with joy when pretending to be asleep or anticipating going to the pulperia or showing your latest painting is just the right thing to do.
  • Saying "Amen" (pronounced "ahh mane") multiple times during the prayer is appropriate. We know you're not trying to finish the prayer quickly so you can start eating.
  • Talking out loud constantly is good, even when no one can understand you...which is most of the time. 
  • Walking on someone else's shoes is fun. (See picture to the right.)
I hope I will always be willing to learn with the heart and attitude with which you demonstrate as you learn a new language, a new culture, and a new family.

No comments:

Post a Comment