Lisa and Gustavo

Lisa and Gustavo

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Caleb Gustavo,

Our parents have been in Honduras with you for six weeks now! It was first six week of thousands more that you will have them as parents. While this is the longest time you have ever had your own parents, this is also the longest time your other siblings and I have lived without parents. There have been people in and out of the house bringing us food and staying the night (which has been an incredible gift and so helpful during this process) but its not the same as the daily support and training parents provide.

These last six weeks have given me a much greater appreciation for parents (especially our parents). Its also given your other siblings and I a little tiny taste of what its like to not have parents. While we know the three of you will come home relatively soon and we get to Skype more than once a week, we still miss having parents around. We all need the encouragement, comfort, advice, discipline, etc. I miss being able to call or text them any time I want. I know Hannah, Tori, and Joshie miss them at home even more than I do. But you are worth it. And this short time of separation from Mama and Papa has given us the feeling of parentlessness that you have felt for over seven years. None of us will actually understand what your childhood has been like, but maybe we can better identify with you because of these six weeks away from them. Maybe because of this unexpectedly long period we will be able to love you better.

People would think I'm crazy for missing someone I've never actually met, but I miss you so much and look forward to welcoming you home.

Love your big sister,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment